This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: Feb 1: Reservoir Dogs

Wednesday

Feb 1: Reservoir Dogs

"After a simple jewelery heist goes terribly wrong, the surviving criminals begin to suspect that one of them is a police informant."

   If there is one thing anyone should know about me, it's that I have a huge hard on for everything Quentin Tarantino does. Call me a fan-boy, or whatever you want, but this guy makes near perfect films each and every time (except Death Proof... but we don't talk about Death Proof). Reservoir Dogs, Tarantino's first movie, is the start of his legacy and proves it can stand the test of time. Even after 20 years, the film is exceptional with terrific dialogue, incredible acting, and one hell of a soundtrack. I saw this movie about seven years ago, or so, and Stuck in the Middle With You still makes me smile whenever I hear it... and I make sure both of my ears are still attached to my head. 

Whew... wait a sec..

   Reservoir Dogs is probably one of the best first films by a director I have ever seen. The fact that a no-name movie freak filmmaker named Quentin could get the likes of Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, Tim Roth, and Michael Madsen in his first movie is ridiculous. If I could get that kind of raw, badass talent for my first movie, I would have lightning bolts of slap-happy jubilation shooting out of my mind. 

From my MIIIINND. 

   The script is probably the best part of Reservoir Dogs. Quentin Tarantino is a master of dialogue, and every line he writes is completely organic, real, and genius. From the opening scene in a diner, where the heist "team" discusses tipping waitresses to a scene where the undercover cop rehearses an amusing anecdote he'll have to use to win over the criminals, Reservoir Dogs is gold (or blonde in this case). In a time when twists and turns in movies wasn't as expected like it is today, Reservoir Dogs broke the mold and proved original ideas could still be made into movies. 

The Good:
the excellent script, incredible acting by all the leads

The Bad
you want the film to be longer... but there always is Pulp Fiction :) 

The Ugly:
torture... ouch

Overall: 9.8/10

Best Quote
Mr. Blonde: "Listen kid, I'm not gonna bullshit you, all right? I don't give a good fuck what you know, or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless. Not to get information. It's amusing, to me, to torture a cop. You can say anything you want cause I've heard it all before. All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get." 

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At February 3, 2012 at 8:44 PM , Blogger virtuadept said...

I really liked this movie. I have seen it about 4 or 5 times. My favorite part is where he argues that he doesn't want to be Mr. Pink. I also like the breakfast scene arguing about tips.

 
At February 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Nick said...

The whole movie is amazing. I've tried writing dialogue and it is so hard, so seeing how perfect Tarantino can get it is mind-blowing.

 
At August 24, 2012 at 6:27 PM , Blogger Richard Kirkham said...

Saw it in a first run in the Colorado Theater in Pasadena, which was basically just a Quonset hut with a screen (now it's a church). After the torture scene my wife leaned over to me and said "You owe me, big time." It was a terrific opening from a fantastic film maker.

 
At August 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yes indeed, so jealous you saw it in theaters. That torture scene is sooooo memorable, completely changes how I listen to "Stuck in the Middle" now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home