This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: Feb 10: Forks Over Knives

Friday

Feb 10: Forks Over Knives

"Examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods."

  Forks Over Knives is a compelling documentary that gives insight to the awful consequences given out by the crappy food we all eat and love. It's pretty much a love letter to veganism but the entire thing is done so well, with good research and solid facts (ooh pretty charts). The documentary showcases a handful of doctors, all who rely on a heavy whole foods plant based diet in their regimens and practice. Two of the doctors, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. T. Colin Campbell, are a couple of the leading minds in the field of cardiovascular study, and having them in a large portion of the documentary seems to add a lot of validation. Their studies all around the world have led them to believe, and prove, that a plant only based diet decreases chances of heart disease, diabetes, and cancer, and can actually regress these diseases. 


Fighting Bluto, and apparently cancer, since 1929.

   I am always weary when I watch documentaries because I know that most of the time they are very bias in their defense and declarations of the topic on display. With Forks Over Knives, however, a lot of facts presented appear solid and based in a lot of research. The film references many studies and facts, but does a good job of giving source for all the material, including referencing a large report that Dr. Campbell and his colleagues produced about dietary patterns in China. Overall, the results from the China study, as well as others, prove that Americans, as a whole, consume way too much of the wrong foods and have way too many diseases. We are a populous that relies on energy starters (caffeine, energy drinks), easy quick "convenience foods" (fast food, TV dinners, etc.), and it is these exact eating habits that result in higher rates of disease and obesity. 

Two minutes in the microwave, a lifetime of clogged arteries.

   Now I must admit, I am no way an ideal eater. I eat what I want, very little vegetables, and bacon and butter make everything better. Forks Over Knives was an eye-opener to me and, although I don't see myself changing my diet over night, it encouraged me to change some of my eating habits. So in that regard, I find Forks Over Knives effective. A large plea of the documentary was to encourage viewers to try the diet, for just eight weeks. I may find myself giving into that plea and the resulting blog posts after my beginning may either be filled with even more wit and genius, or subliminal pleas for meat and dairy. 

The Good: 
a surprisingly effective view into the world of food and what it all does to us 
The Bad:
realizing the only "true" healthy way to eat is becoming a vegan
The Ugly:
realizing the only "true" healthy way to eat is forgetting about bacon, ribs and chicken

Overall: 7.5/10

Best Quote:
"Let your food be your medicine, and your medicine be your food." ~ Hippocrates (during a scene transition) 

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home