This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: Sept 18: The Cabin in the Woods

Tuesday

Sept 18: The Cabin in the Woods

"Five friends go for a break at a remote cabin in the woods, where they get more than they bargained for. Together, they must discover the truth behind the cabin in the woods."
Directed by: Drew Goddard, Rated: R, 95 minutes

The Cabin in the Woods is hands down one of the best horror movies I have ever seen. Packed full of scares, laughs, plenty of gore, and a hell of a lot of twists, the film is completely unexpected and quite the surprise. It's mind blowing and original and takes everything you know about horror movies and turns it completely upside down, twists it, and turns it inside out. Written and directed by Drew Goddard, a long time collaborator of both Joss Whedon (who also co-wrote the film) and J.J Abrams, you can only imagine the lengths the movie can go with such creative geniuses behind it. 

I f**king love you, Joss. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. 

The movie follows your ordinary, cliche plot of a bunch of twenty somethings heading to the middle of the woods at a dilapidated cabin just because they can. Drinking, drugs, and sex ensue and after the 'gang' mistakenly unleash a family of redneck zombies, everything gets crazy. Unlike the usual plot, the cabin holds many secrets. I wouldn't consider it a spoiler, as the trailers give it away and the opening scene discusses it, but the cabin is actually a staged "set" controlled by a couple of programmers (Richard Jenkins and Brad Whitford) in some scientific research facility. They control the temperatures, the locks on the doors, and even inject the air with pheromones to get the libidos and the sex going (those watching demand the boobies). Thus, with everything going against them, the people at the cabin must figure out a way to escape their omnipotent puppeteers and get out of the nightmare they're in. 
Yep, Thor's the jock. Yes, it works. 

The Cabin in the Woods is one of the best movies of the year. There's simply so much that happens that's completely unexpected and as the plot unravels, it grows more and more incredible. Yes, the first part of the film is your ordinary story, but once it gets going and turns on its side, the pay off is extraordinary. The final twenty minutes or so are absolutely mind-blowing and seeing everything play out is not only gruesome, but so much fun. There's so much creativity in each scene and design. It immediately warrants another viewing to catch every detail. Not a lot of films (especially horror movies) have that quality to them. Not since The Evil Dead has a horror film entranced me so much and made me want to know all I can about the film, the making of it, and every bit of information about the story. 

It's hard to top Ash and The Cabin in the Woods gets damn close. 

Instead of going about my usual recommendation I am actually pleading to you to watch The Cabin in the Woods. It's an incredibly rewarding film that leaves you floored at the awesomeness that's played out on the screen and makes you excited about the horror genre again. It's one of the few must watch films of the year and delivers in every aspect, providing laughs, cringes, gags, and even moments of absolute happiness as you're blown away by what's actually happening. The script is smart, the acting, although nowhere near terrific, is perfect for the film and the visuals leave a smile on your face. Don't go rent this movie, go buy it and share it with all of your friends. Now.

The Good:
taking what you know about a cabin in the woods and turning it into something you have never seen before (and I mean that) 
The Better:
monsters... that is all
The Best:
knowing that original stories like this actually still exist in the world, that Joss Whedon continues to deliver, and that Drew Goddard is now THE director to look out for

Overall: 8.9/10

Trailer:

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

25 Comments:

At September 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM , Blogger Dusty said...

I knew there was a twist to this film so I stopped reading reviews before heading to the theater.

I was blown away. I haven't been so pleasantly surprised since i took a chance on Sin City in the theaters. This movie deserved so much more press than it got. Really excellent in every way.

 
At September 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yes it is. I stopped reading and seeing everything involved with the film, thus my wait for the DVD was even harder than usual. Totally worth it though.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 5:07 AM , Blogger Ries said...

Cabin In the Woods was one of my favorite films of this year. The ending was horrifying/fascinating/exhilarating/hilarious/strangely thought provoking.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I've heard too many good things about this picture. I guess I'm going to have to watch it. It sounded uninspired and conventional but it's received a lot of good press including here.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 10:53 AM , Blogger s. said...

Loved this movie, my favorite of the year right behind TDKR and Prometheus and my favorite horror movie since....I think the Descent, though Cabin is not really fulyl a horror film - it's like a love letter to horrors, love all the refrences and homages. And it has Richard Jenkins. Every movie is better when Richard Jenkins is in it.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM , Blogger Two Tickets For... said...

Yes yes yes yes yes. The Cabin in the Woods is such an amazing homage to the horror genre that it should be required viewing in college film classes. Not only does it work well as a stand alone horror movie, it hits all the right notes using all the classic and cliche horror tropes to deconstruct it all. Highly suggested to not only watch the movie but to watch the special features on how they made the creature effects, too.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Watching this film was the most fun I've ever had in the cinema. It just kept delivering, going further and further. Loved it, second only to The Avengers this year.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Mavi@filmscope said...

I was a bit on the fence with CITW.... and I have seen it twice but still cant form an opinion I really cant decide weather I liked it or not... but I may watch it again, because I recently saw the trailer for HATES and it just reminded me or a serious version of this..

 
At September 19, 2012 at 5:36 PM , Blogger Andy Watches Movies said...

Luckily I saw this one knowing NOTHING about it (wanted it that way) and when the opening scene came up a huge smile grew on my lips because I knew it was going to deliver one hell of a surprise. I had no idea how great it would end up being.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Nick said...

The ending is indeed incredible. I was so excited and slap-happy at what was going on lol.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yep. you need to go and watch it now.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Nick said...

I know! I love Jenkins.. Have since Six Feet Under. The guy makes everything better.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Nick said...

The rental I had didn't have special features. Going to have to buy it... payday needs to come sooner lol

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM , Blogger Nick said...

I really really really really wish I saw it in theaters... Hate the fact I missed it.

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Nick said...

I can't wait to watch it again lol. And what's HATES?

 
At September 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yeah, I'm glad I stayed away from spoilers of any kind.. would have really ruined a lot of the fun. The delivery is indeed, incredible.

 
At September 20, 2012 at 12:55 PM , Blogger Mavi@filmscope said...

House at the end of The Street... :)

 
At September 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Oh......

yuck lol

 
At September 20, 2012 at 9:21 PM , Blogger Richard Kirkham said...

I wanted to like this movie so much more than I did. I have enormous respect for what they were attempting and I appreciated the creativity that went into it. I simply thought that the storytelling that sets up the plot and the resolution did not work very well because they tip off the twist too early and them "traditional"horror film elements were rushed. There is a lot to enjoy and maybe I can look at it again an appreciate more. Deeply liked but did not love.

Complete Comments: http://kirkhamclass.blogspot.com/2012/04/i-have-been-away-from-movie-theater-for.html

 
At September 20, 2012 at 9:33 PM , Blogger Nick said...

You're just old lol. But in all seriousness, I can understand where you're coming from. The rest of the film was just too awesome to ignore and the last 20 minutes make everything incredible.

 
At September 21, 2012 at 7:07 AM , Anonymous Max said...

I've tried not to read anything into this film. I might end up watching it very soon although I'm not a big fan of gore and/or horror movies in general. There's just such a high level of buzz around this similar to Drag me to Hell, that I don't think I can just miss it. Thanks for the review Nick.

 
At September 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM , Blogger Nick said...

It's really a can't miss. As I said, it's a must watch, even if you're not the usual fan of horror movies.

 
At September 21, 2012 at 7:46 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was such an awesome movie, and I don't even like horror movies, especially campy, bloody ones. :-) Great review, Nick! I love Richard Jenkins in virtually everything I've ever seen him in, though I haven't seen Six Feet Under.

 
At September 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Nick said...

You need to watch Six Feet Under... NOWWWWWWWWWW

 
At September 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Mr. Darko said...

This is easily my favourite movie of the year hands down, but while it may be the best horror movie in years, it wouldn't have worked as well without all the others before it.

Great review, I don't just plead but demand everyone watch it. Can't wait to pick up the blu and watch it again. Saw it twice in theaters and have had the mondo poster hanging on my wall ever since.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home