This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: The Year I Made Contact: 1989

Friday

The Year I Made Contact: 1989

The Movie Waffler was asking bloggers to partake in a little blogathon. The idea is to write about the movies that came out the year you were born. Being that I am trying to branch out a little bit and write more than just reviews, I figured I would give it a shot. Plus, 1989 was a damn fine year for movies. I give you, my Top 5 films of the year of my birth, 1989 (in no particular order). 

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moon light?"

June, 1989 gave rise to Tim Burton's Batman, forever changing the way we look at the Dark Knight and re-introducing the world to the superhero movie. Sure, Adam West had fun in the cape in 1966 in the movie that gave rise to the classic, campy TV show, but it wasn't until Burton's masterpiece that we saw the darker side of Batman and the sinister clown, the Joker, played masterfully by Jack Nicholson. The first Batman movie I ever saw and the start to one hell of an obsession. 

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." 

November, 1989 unleashed upon the world one of the greatest sequels in the history of film. Back to the Future Part II starts off exactly where the first one left us, and this time takes us to 2015, a year of Jaws 19, digital Michael Jackson waiters, and a Miami Marlins v. Chicago Cubs World Series. Some argue that Part II is much weaker than the first, but it is actually my favorite in the series. Best part of the movie? The future forseen has to happen. But keep in mind, Nike has released self-lacing sneakers and Mattel hopes to launch a hover board this holiday season

"Don't call me Junior!"

May, 1989 saw the end of one of the greatest trilogies of all time. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade shows our favorite archaeologist chasing myth and searching for The Holy Grail, while fighting everyone's enemy- Nazis. It also shows, in one of the best openings in recent memory, how Indy became who he was, showing us how he got the scar on his chin and the fedora on his head, as well as the reason he's so afraid of snakes. Introducing Sean Connery as Indy's dad was genius, and the two have gone down in film history as one of the greatest father-son duos. My favorite Indiana Jones movie and a perfect finish to a perfect trilogy. If only it truly was the end...

"Carpe diem. Seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." 

June, 1989 also gave us Robin Williams' finest performance and introduced us to the likes of Ethan Hawke (one of, if not my favorite actors), Robert Sean Leonard, and Josh Charles. Dead Poets Society is one of my favorite movies of all time and is one of the funniest most emotional dramas I've seen. I remember seeing this in an English class in high school, during my "awakening", when I first began to obsess about movies in general. I was jealous of all the boys attending Welton Academy and I so desperately wanted to be taught by Robin Williams' Mr. Keating. The movie teaches you about love, life, death, and most importantly, to seize the day. 

"If I lose my magic, that means I've lost absolutely everything." 

Now, my last film did not see a 1989 release in the United States, but in Japan. I could never write a list of some of my favorite movies without including a Hayao Miyazaki film and thus I give you, Kiki's Delivery Service. In my opinion, not Miyazaki's greatest film (Spirited Away wins that title), however, it was one of the first of his movies I saw and introduced me to his magical story-telling that still holds a very special place in my heart. Never has the story of a witch been so colorful and full of life, let alone left such an impression in the imagination of a young boy. 

Five Films That Just Missed the Cut:
When Harry Met Sally
Say Anything...
Christmas Vacation
Driving Miss Daisy
The Little Mermaid

Five Memorable, but Not Too Incredible Movies:
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
All Dogs Go to Heaven
Uncle Buck
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
Field of Dreams

Why Did I Ever Like These Five Movies?:
Look Who's Talking
Weekend at Bernie's
Honey, I Shrunk the Kids
Pet Sematary
Little Monsters

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At July 10, 2012 at 3:52 PM , Blogger R.Hamilton said...

Just finished my own "The year I made contact" and man 1989 is such a better year for films than 1991. Damn...

 
At July 10, 2012 at 6:01 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Oh my indeed. After going over your list, I'm sorry that 1991 wasn't as sexy as '89.

Thanks for commenting!

 
At July 11, 2012 at 3:33 AM , Blogger Lesya said...

I agree with R.Hamilton. What a great year. I love all the films that are in your top 5.

 
At July 11, 2012 at 9:09 AM , Blogger Nick said...

Thank you very much! It certainly was a great year for movies.

 
At July 12, 2012 at 1:54 PM , Blogger Murtaza Ali Khan said...

A great year for cinema... some great movie out there :-)

 
At July 12, 2012 at 7:27 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yes indeed! People were spoiled in 1989 lol.

 
At August 10, 2012 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Richard Kirkham said...

Vertigo
Touch of Evil
Gigi
The Vikings
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad
No Time for Sergeants

 
At August 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM , Blogger Nick said...

Kirkham- you're old...lol

BUT those are some great movies you got for your year.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home