This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: 2012 Halftime Report

Wednesday

2012 Halftime Report

With the end of June, we are now onto the second half of 2012. I figured I would write a quick little article, summing up my experiences so far, as well as the best and worst new movies I have seen this year. Now, I haven't had the means or the budget to see as many movies in theaters this year as I would have liked, so the list is certainly lacking. My goal however, (now that I am working), is to average at least 3-5 new movies each month and to keep the blog a little more relevant to what is actually racking up big bucks at the box office. 

I am very aware that there any many titles missing from this list, and some that shouldn't necessarily be on either but it's all about what I personally have seen and written a review for. By the end of 2012, I expect this list to be quite more appropriate. 


THE FIVE WORST
It's sad to say that there have been some very bad movies this year. This list is only five because I have been luckily enough to avoid some of them (That's My Boy, Tyler Perry anything, The Devil Inside, etc.). 

#4. Wrath of the Titans 3.5/10
#3. This Means War 3.0/10

THE TEN BEST

#9. John Carter 7.5/10
#8. Get The Gringo 7.5/10
#7. 21 Jump Street 8.0/10
#6. Chronicle 8.5/10

#5. Prometheus
Quite the spectacle on a huge scale. Many flaws but still too cool, eerie, and pretty to be missed. Ridley Scott's return to the Alien universe. 
8.5/10

Irreverant, crude, but oh, so hilarious. Fantasy violence that brings pain to the stupid, a daydream plenty of us have had to some extent. 
8.9/10


Wes Anderson simply being Wes. Huge, exceptional cast with plenty of newcomers, set in an almost fairy tale small little town. Looks as good as any elaborate stage play. 
9.2/10

#2. The Grey
Emotional survival story with an incredible cast led by Liam Neeson. Haunting score, beautiful to look at. 
9.5/10

The perfect summer movie on a scale like nothing we have seen before. Epic, funny, sexy as f**k to the eye. 
9.5/10

So, there it is.  A very, very quick wrap-up of the year so far. I know my list is missing quite a few titles and I need all of your help suggesting what to go back and watch. I have a list in my head of what still needs to be seen, but let me know what your favorite movies of the year have been and even suggest the little gems that may have gone unnoticed completely. A great film isn't good because of how much money it makes, so hit me up with all the little indie hits you'll never forget. 

Labels:

2 Comments:

At July 7, 2012 at 3:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats on making it to the halfway point. I know a few sites that started doing a review every day, but I think you and I are the only ones who got this far. Mine is over at http://5wordmoviereviews.com

 
At July 7, 2012 at 8:27 AM , Blogger Nick said...

Thank you. Same to you. It certainly hasn't been the easiest some days, and looking back on my first month or so of reviews makes me hate myself as a writer. But, it's nice to see that I have gotten better (at least I think so).

I visited your blog awhile back and I think I just forgot to comment, but expect a flurry of them coming your way.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home