This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: Jan 19: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Thursday

Jan 19: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

"Journalist Mikael Blomkvist is aided in his search for a woman who has been missing for forty years by Lisbeth Salander, a young computer hacker."

 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, the newest movie by the always amazing David Fincher, is a good movie with a lot of issues. A lot of the issues are minor, yes, but I did not walk out of the theater being blown away by what I saw. I went in thinking I would be punched in the gut by a graphic, violent, and disturbing film but instead, I felt like it was just a slap in the face...but I kind of liked it. 
Aaaaaawwww yyyeeeahhh!

  The film suffers from TMSCMS, or "Too Much Shit Crammed into one Movie Syndrome".  The pacing suffered throughout, as some scenes felt out of place or out of order. There are a lot of characters that go undeveloped or who are visited once and then forgotten. The climax of the film happens rather quickly, and it is very underwhelming. Not to mention it takes place with nearly twenty minutes or so left in an already lengthy film. I felt that, at times, the scenes that were already written were thrown into a hat and then chosen at random and pieced together to make the movie. 

Unaccredited, Mr. Hat Hattington is seeking what he's owed for his screenwriting work. 

   Now, even with all of the issues that I mentioned, I still found The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo to be a very good film. Visually, the film was dark and moody, fitting the themes very well, and the locations surrounding the story are beautiful, yet melancholy. The acting by Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara are both praiseworthy. The two have an interesting chemistry. But, as the story has a larger focus on the relationships between the characters than on the mystery itself, I expected to see more scenes of the two and their growing connection. They both nearly solve the mystery around the same time, but on their own and not together. 

"You go in the other room and do this half, I'll do this stuff."

   Overall, even though I had a lot of complaints, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo proves to be a great film. Had I not had such large expectations, I don't think that I would have had such big concerns. The story, although messy, is intriguing and captivating, and I did find myself engaged in the plot and the characters. The great score beautifully fit the dark atmosphere and added much to the experience. David Fincher proves that he can still make the dark and gritty films he is known for and I would recommend this film. Last but not least, the film has one of the most disturbing and unusual opening credits I have ever seen, and that alone is worth some praise. 

Sight: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is a beautifully shot film, even with a dark subject matter. The locations are used to the film's advantage, and the gloomy setting heightens the experience and the mystery involved. 
Sound: Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross prove again they are master composers with a beautiful and original score. 
Skill: Rooney Mara is incredible as the sheltered, yet genius Lisabeth Salander and Daniel Craig is great as the damaged investigative journalist, Mikeal Blomkvist. The supporting cast, although limited in screen time, are just as strong.
Script: Messy and inconsistent, the script does present the mystery unfolding with suspense and intrigue, but not without confusion as well. 

Overall: 7.3/10

Best Quote: 
Henrik Vanger: "I need your help. You come, stay on the island. By way of avoiding all those people you might want to avoid right now. You would be investigating thieves, misers, bullies, the most detestable collection of people that you will ever meet. My family."


Oh, and the film suffers from way too much product placement. It is very distracting. 


My eyes are murdered with hidden advertisements!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At January 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM , Blogger Kate said...

you didn't mention the fact that it needed more lesbian sex. that was definitely a huge issue, in my opinion.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home