This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: The Trailer Park: World War Z

Thursday

The Trailer Park: World War Z


Max Brooks' World War Z is a modern classic. It's easily one of my favorite books and manages to craft a story of the end of the world through dozens of different perspectives. It never sticks with just one story, but jumps around the globe chronicling the surviving efforts of all sorts of people, at all different times post-apocalypse. Naturally, when I heard a film was on the way, I was incredibly excited, then wondered how it could be adapted with justice. Unfortunately, World War Z, the movie, starring Brad Pitt, is a "loose" (very loose) adaptation of Brooks' novel and I have to say, I am all sorts of disappointed.

World War Z has been a film that's been struggling in production. Rumors of a weak script and bad direction led to many believing the movie is dead (or undead?) on arrival. Well, today the first full-length trailer premiered and I have to say that those rumors may be right. While the footage shown in the trailer isn't necessarily awful, it reeks of generic plot points and has way too much CGI for its own good. I already suffered through a computer generated destruction of another end of the world book, I Am Legend, and I prayed that I wouldn't have to suffer through that again. Unfortunately, it looks like Will Smith was swapped out for Brad Pitt and was given the support of a whole lot of guns. I will certainly be reluctant heading into this (I'll still see it) but I hope that this trailer doesn't show what the film will be all about. God forbid it receives a PG-13 rating.

World War Z hits theaters June 13, 2013. It also stars James Badge Dale, Matthew Fox, Mireille Enos, and David Morse.


Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM , Blogger Ries said...

I like the trailer. The main thing the book had going for it was that it re-invented the way we envision "hordes of zombies" and the consequent war. We'll see how the movie handles that material.

 
At November 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Nick said...

As I said.. reluctant but excited.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home