This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: Movie Confessions Blogathon

Saturday

Movie Confessions Blogathon


My Film Views is hosting a blogathon called Movie Confessions, where participating bloggers answer a handful of questions about their movie tastes, viewing histories, and guilty pleasures. Let's begin:


Which classic movie don’t you like/can’t enjoy and why?
While the list below includes films I have not seen in their entirety, one classic movie I have tried watching is Citizen Kane. I have tried multiple times to watch the film and can never get into it. I really don't understand the appeal of the film nor what many consider it to be one of the greatest movies of all time. It's incredibly, incredibly, boring and I can't find anything interesting in it. Maybe one day, it'll click and I'll love the hell out of it. 

Which ten classic movies haven’t you seen yet? 
As I never count a movie as "seen" until I see the entire film in one sitting, some of these made sound strange. 
Citizen KaneGone With the Wind, Metropolis, The Maltese Falcon, Annie Hall, The Searchers, The African Queen, Sunset Blvd., A Streetcar Named Desire, Spartacus

Have you ever sneaked into another movie at the cinema?
I have definitely sneaked into a movie when I was younger. These days, every movie I see in theaters, I genuinely want to see, therefore I want to contribute to the production by paying for admission (even if it's at a ridiculous cost).

Which actor/actress do you think is overrated?
Sean Penn, Meryl Streep, Mark Wahlberg, and Julia Roberts all come to mind. Sure, they're all Oscar nominees and/or winners, but they turn in the same roles over and over. Sure, Streep can "become" any character she plays, but her routine is getting incredibly overrated and frustrating. However, the most overrated actor in Hollywood right now is Johnny Depp. Depp is sadly just a shadow of the great actor he used to be, and his constant Hunter S. Thompson-esque accent he uses his irritating. He seems to shy away from any "normal" roles lately and has become too obsessed with the weird. 

From which big director have you never seen any movie (and why)?
Federico Fellini and Francois Truffaut, with both I have absolutely no excuse for not seeing any of their films. In fact, I own Fellini's 8 1/2 and have for years, but I just have not found the time to open it up (yes, it's sealed). As for Truffaut, I really am baffled as to why I haven't seen any of his films. I know there are many comparisons of him to Hitchcock (who I adore), but I have never sought out any of his films. 

Which movie do you love, but is generally hated?
For some reason, whenever I catch it on TV, I must watch Joe Dirt in its entirety. It's a terrible film that has very little going for it, but for some reason I cannot look away. I also thoroughly enjoyed Drive Angry and more recently, John Carter

Have you ever been “one of those annoying people” at the cinema?
I really hope not as I hate absolutely hate anyone that ruins the movie-going experience. As most people would say they have were probably really annoying when they were younger, I never went to movies as much as I do now. 

Did you ever watch a movie, which you knew in advance would be bad, just because of a specific actor/actress was in it? Which one and why? 
As some of you readers know, I have a recurring featured called "Nic Cage Week", where I watch, and try my hardest to love, all of his movies. The third week is coming up soon, and by the end of the year I will have watched nearly all of his movies. Cage is a fascinating piece of work and he's really entertaining to watch. He's like some freak at the carnival you just have to see and once you do, you can't look away. Other actors include Ethan Hawke, Vince Vaughn, Paul Giamatti, and Sean Bean. 

Did you ever not watch a specific movie because it had subtitles? 
Never. Sometimes I'm not in the mood to watch a foreign movie, but I never have completely disregarded a film because of the subtitles. I am fully aware (and love the fact) that English language films are not the world's greatest, and some of my favorite movies are from Europe and Asia. 

Are there any movies in your collection that you have had for more than five years and never watched?
There are way too many in my collection that I have not seen. It's quite sad actually. Some of those include: Chinatown, Deliverance, Frankenstein, The Godfather: Part III, and as previously mentioned, 8 1/2.

Which are the worst movies in your collection and why do you still own them?
I really don't like to talk about this as I had a phase where I wanted to build my collection as fast as I could without any concern for quality. I own a handful of shitty direct-to-DVD Disney sequels and a lot of really, really bad horror movies. I only own them because I got them incredibly cheap and have continually been the process of downsizing and cutting out the crap. 

Do you have any confessions about your movie watching setup at home?
I worked at Best Buy in the home theater department for over a year, so one would think I have built up quite a setup for myself. However, there's really nothing special about what I have and I even gave up trying to set up my surround sound system because it was giving me too hard of a time. I do plan on having one hell of a theater when I can actually afford one, though. 

Any other confessions you want to make?
I am an advocate for old school Hollywood and classic cinema, but I really have not watched as many films from that era as I have hoped to. It's not that I don't have access to the films of the past as much as it is my laziness, really, to check them out. Also, there are a handful of movies I mentally keep a list of that are must loves to be my friend. If you really dislike any of these films, I will respect you less, plain and simple. 

Want to read more confessions? Check out other great movie blogs who have joined this blogathon after the break:



































































Labels: ,

20 Comments:

At July 21, 2012 at 11:13 PM , Anonymous Nostra said...

Well, Citizen Kane is a very slow moving film. It's not in my favorite movies list, but what I enjoyed about it were some stunning shots and the overall epic story this movie tells.

Out of the movies you have not seen yet I loved Sunset Blvd. the most. The African Queen I found to be a bit boring.

Hahaha, I'm not the only one with a dislike for Meryl Streep ;)

I had 8 1/2 wrapped fo ages too, finally watched it last month and although it has some interesting shots it wasn't a movie for me.

Wow, I forgot that I never watched The Godfather Part 3 either, have had it in my collection for years!

 
At July 21, 2012 at 11:39 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks for commenting. I like anything that gets me thinking about movies so I appreciate you running the blogathon and coming up with the ideas. Your little input on 8 1/2 really won't have me running to open my copy lol.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Some freak at the carnival... that's the best description I've ever heard of Nicholas Cage. He's very entertaining indeed. Have you watched that video of him on youtube...? like a compilation of lines and stuff, I'm sure you have already. Any time I need to laugh I watch that video, Cage is hilarious.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Yep, I have seen that video. http://www.cinekatz.com/2012/04/april-14-lord-of-war.html Even posted it at the end of my Lord of War review.

I was planning on doing my 3rd installment of Nic Cage week this month, but I had to focus on the TDK Trilogy and I'm going across country in a few days. Tracking down Nic Cage movies when on vacation won't be as easy. So I'll prob do my 3rd round the first week of August or so.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see this list of movies your friends have to love.

Nice to see you participating in this!

 
At July 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks for bringing my attention to it lol.

As for the list... I think I'll reveal it in due time. Hell, that could even be a blogathon/questionnaire thing I run myself.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 7:49 PM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

I appreciate the fact that you're willing to admit that you found it difficult to get into Citizen Kane. :-) I enjoyed it, but I think it was largely because I waited a really long time to see it. I think I would've found it hard to get into when I was younger. You have some terrific movies on your not-yet-seen-classics list. I especially liked The African Queen.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 7:52 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Thanks! I know my not-seen list is a little tragic. I'll make an effort to get through some of them sooner than later. Maybe I'll start a "Classics Thursday" or something along those lines lol.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 9:48 PM , Anonymous The Focused Filmographer said...

Fun list here. There's so much I want to comment on, but I'm gonna comment on your working at Best Buy and not getting a HT setup while there. Whatt??

I'm a HT supv at BBY and have bn there for over 6years. As stated in my movie confessions...it's Klipsch all the way for me. Of course, Professor Klipsch taught at my university in my town before he went on to invent the speakers that are sold worldwide! You gotta get you a setup! for sure. hahaa. Where did u work?

Oh, and get rid of all the bad movies in your collection. We are taking dvd trade ins for upgrades to blu-ray. LOL.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Haha. I worked at a store in Stevens Point, WI. And yes, I am most definitely a Klipsch guy myself, just never had the money. Once I do, I'll be buying K for sure. I love the Quintet system!

And I know about the DVD trade-ins lol. But what good is trading in a bad DVD for a bad Blu-ray? lol

Thanks for stopping by.

 
At July 22, 2012 at 10:00 PM , Anonymous The Focused Filmographer said...

haha no prob. was a lot of fun. something I enjoy abt Nostra's events is coming across other great pages!

 
At July 22, 2012 at 10:01 PM , Blogger Nick said...

feel free to become a follower ;)

 
At July 23, 2012 at 6:20 PM , Anonymous Eric said...

I would also like to see your list of movies your friends need to love. I think Citizen Kane might be on mine. ;)

Just kidding. I do love that film quite a bit, though. It's slow paced, but it ties together masterfully by the end. Hope you see it all the way through someday.

Funny that you mentioned The Godfather III. I still need to see that myself, but I have been scared off by all the negativity about it.

Nice post, Nick!

 
At July 25, 2012 at 8:14 AM , Blogger Lesya said...

Right! How could I forget about Citizen Kane? It's just so uninspiring.

 
At July 25, 2012 at 7:40 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My not-seen list is pretty sad, too. :)

 
At July 26, 2012 at 5:05 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Because of popular demand, I may have to post that list somewhere. Or have a week building up to it or something lol.

Thanks for commenting!

 
At July 26, 2012 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Nick said...

Indeed it is. I just cannot find myself getting into it.

 
At July 27, 2012 at 8:58 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yay - someone else who doesn't like Meryl Streep! She's on my list too:
http://thegreatkh.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/movie-confessions-blogathon.html

 
At August 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM , Blogger Mette said...

I've never seen Citizen Kane, it's interesting how some people truly love, and others truly hate the film.

 
At August 5, 2012 at 9:05 PM , Blogger Nick said...

@Margaret I'm glad you don't like her either lol. Or at least, think she's overrated too. I'll be sure to check out your confessions.

@Mette, it is certainly one hell of a polarizing flick. I think hatred for it has been ingrained in me and I don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy it lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home