This page has moved to a new address.

< $BlogItemTitle$>

The Cinematic Katzenjammer: My Oscar Picks

Sunday

My Oscar Picks



Here's my quick picks for tonight's Academy awards. Although I don't agree on a handful of the nominations (The Descendants is so overrated), I look forward to these awards every year. They're kind of like my own little Super Bowl, but I am slowly losing faith in the nominations and the show itself. Let's hope the return of Billy Crystal can kick some much needed enthusiasm and entertainment in to the awards. Below I have included my actual picks and then my choices for what I'd actually like to see win. 

Best Motion Picture of the Year:
The Artist CORRECT
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 
The Help 
Hugo 
Midnight in Paris 
Moneyball 
The Tree of Life 
War Horse 

My Oscar Pick: The Artist- Damn. I wish the Best Picture category wouldn't be so predictable every year. And, why is Extremely Loud and Incredible Close even nominated... ugh.
My Personal Pick: Midnight in Parismy favorite movie of 2011

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role:
Demián Bichir for A Better Life 
George Clooney for The Descendants
Jean Dujardin for The Artist CORRECT
Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt for Moneyball

My Oscar Pick: Jean Dujardinbecause The Artist is going to win nearly everything
My Personal Pick: Brad Pitt- just give him an Oscar already... it's about time

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role:
Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs 
Viola Davis for The Help 
Rooney Mara for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo 
Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady 
Michelle Williams for My Week with Marilyn

My Oscar Pick: Viola Davis
My Personal Pick: Viola Davisas said in my review of The Help, she earned it and deserves it
ACTUAL: MERYL STREEP (STOP ACTING ALREADY! LET OTHERS WIN!)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role:
Kenneth Branagh for My Week with Marilyn 
Jonah Hill for Moneyball 
Nick Nolte for Warrior 
Christopher Plummer for Beginners CORRECT
Max von Sydow for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

My Oscar Pick: Christopher Plummer- and he does deserve it but...
My Personal Pick: This one's insanely close, but I have to pick Nick Nolte for Warrior, a completely overlooked movie this awards season. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role:
Bérénice Bejo for The Artist 
Jessica Chastain for The Help 
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids 
Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs 
Octavia Spencer for The Help CORRECT

My Oscar Pick: Octavia Spencer, hands down 
My Personal Pick: Just like Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer deserves it

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Margin Call
Midnight in Paris CORRECT
A Separation

My Oscar Pick: Midnight in Paris
My Personal Pick: Midnight in Paris- the only award my favorite movie will walk away with...sigh

Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay
The Descendants CORRECT
Hugo 
The Ides of March
Moneyball 
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

My Oscar Pick: The Descendants, and I completely disagree
My Personal Pick: Moneyball- incredible dialogue and an engaging story out of a seemingly uninteresting idea

Best Directing:
Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris 
Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist CORRECT
Terrence Malick for The Tree of Life 
Alexander Payne for The Descendants 
Martin Scorsese for Hugo

My Oscar Pick: Michel Hazanavicius
My Personal Pick: Martin Scorcese- Hugo was incredible, and he tried something completely new and it worked wondrously 

Best Animated Feature:
A Cat in Paris 
Chico & Rita 
Kung Fu Panda 2 
Puss in Boots 
Rango CORRECT

My Oscar Pick: Rango 
My Personal Pick: Rango- although I didn't enjoy the story, the animation alone is worth the award

Best Foreign Language Film:
Bullhead 
Footnote 
In Darkness 
Monsieur Lazhar 
A Separation CORRECT

My Oscar PickA Separation
My Personal Pick: N/A as I haven't see any of them

As for the Rest:
Documentary: Pina ACTUAL: Undefeated
Cinematography: The Tree of Life ACTUAL: Hugo
Editing: The Artist ACTUAL: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
Art Direction: The Artist ACTUAL: Hugo
Costume Design: The Artist CORRECT
Makeup: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part II ACTUAL: The Iron Lady
Original Score: The Artist CORRECT
Original Song: The Muppets CORRECT
Sound Mixing: Transformers: Dark of the Moon ACTUAL: Hugo
Sound Editing: Transformers: Dark of the Moon ACTUAL: Hugo
Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes ACTUAL: Hugo
Documentary, short: The Tsunami and the Cherry Blossom ACTUAL: Saving Face
Short Film, animated: La Luna ACTUAL:  The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
Short Film, live action: Time Freak ACTUAL: The Shore

OVERALL: 12/24- 50%... shit...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home